Thursday, February 6, 2014

Open Letter to American

 Judgmental, Gay-hater, Self-Righteous, Hypocrite, Fundamentalist, Bigot..... 

These are just some of the insulting labels that have been placed on me in the last week or two. Labels I have been given simply for standing firm in the faith, defending God's Law and His Word. Were such derogatory labels thrown on anyone else, we would call it bullying. We would call it hate speech, but it seems to be okay so long as its inflicted upon a Christian. As a Christian I am not surprised, nor am I angry at the opposition I have encountered from both unbelievers and believers alike, because Jesus warns us that this will happen...

"Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you."
-1 Peter 4:12-14
 ... but strictly as a blue blooded American Citizen, born with the same rights, freedoms and civil liberties as all my fellow Americans, I am appalled by the double standards I am encountering. It is completely unacceptable for me to stand up and say that the Word of God calls homosexuality a sin, because according to today's standards that is considered hate speech. It is unacceptable for me to say that abortion is murder. I am told I have no right to tell another woman that aborting her baby is murder and is therefore a sin before God, because in our society it is her right to choose. All of this is unacceptable, but apparently, it is acceptable for me to be routinely insulted, bullied and ostracized for my faith. You cannot stand on one foot and say that everyone has a right to live their life the way they want and then lean on the other to bully into silence those who speak their faith. This is a freedom that countless have fought for, sacrificed for and died to protect. So while as a Christian I am happy turn my cheek, forgive and forget, as an American Citizen I have to call into question this treacherous double standard. How do we fight for equal rights for everyone while stripping Christians of theirs? How do we fight against hate speeh and bullying, but allow it in instances involving Christians? This is a dangerous double standard that threatens to corrode our very rights, freedoms and civil liberties, simply because our faith.

What happened to the First Amendment rights to religious freedom and the freedom of speech?

Get Widget

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...